baslinux - Re: [BL] Wireless in BL2 (actually it's more about kernels and such, but whatever)

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Wireless in BL2 (actually it's more about kernels and such, but whatever)
  • Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 17:40:01 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

How would I go about switching the 83K of
modules from disk 2 to disk 1,

That is very difficult to do. A combined boot/root
disk is much more complex than any of the other
BasicLinux floppies.

Disk 1 is already this sort of creature, I just wanted to change the disk1.gz to include no X and some modules. Would the method be similar to what is used to modify bl2 which boots from hd to ramdisk? Someone in the list posted a method which I managed to follow. I think I also got this modified BL2 back onto floppy disk, but it was a DOS floppy disk and BL3 is on a linux floppy disk. Would I just modify the files, make a new file image (or whatever it is called) and compress it to disk.tgz and copy it back over the old one? How do you make a disk1 image?

I don't really need to run linux from 1 floppy disk on an 8MB computer but I would learn something from this. (BL2 already works in 8MB and computers with 8MB don't do pcmcia anyway).

or would Steven be willing to rearrange the two
disks

Nope. It's a nasty job and I hate doing.

Of course 2 disks is also pretty impressive.

Particularly when they run X. There aren't many
2-floppy X distributions around.

I don't know any ANY other 1-floppy linux so I would like to get this one working better in 8MB. I will try to find some way to remove ram1.

Found it: umount /usr/X11R6. I now have 4M more to work with. I could stick in a second floppy disk (DOS) with the modules of interest and copy them to ram0 in the 2MB free space there (and also delete 100K or so of X-related things).

Someone could modify the installation routine to only make the second RAMdisk if there is more than 8MB RAM, and not tell you to insert the second disk if there is not.