baslinux - Re: [BL] Wireless in BL2 (actually it's more about kernels and such, but whatever)

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Wireless in BL2 (actually it's more about kernels and such, but whatever)
  • Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 20:30:40 +1300

sindi keesan wrote:

> > Copying a kernel from a boot disk may not be simple.
>
> What more information would you need to tell someone
> how to copy the kernel over for use with BL?

You need to know how the kernel was written to
the floppy (there are at least 3 different ways).
It might also help to know exactly how large the
kernel is.

> So then what do you do with it if you want to use
> it somewhere else?

I don't try retrieving kernels from unknown boot
floppies. install-to-hd is able to retrieve the
kernel from the BL3 floppy (and put it in /boot)
because I know exactly how big the kernel is and
exactly where I put it on the floppy.

> > Files don't get mounted. Filesystems get mounted.
> Files get installed?

Packages get installed. Packages contain files.
So do filesystems.

> I put disk 1 into a computer which only has 8MB RAM,
> hit Ctrl-C instead of Enter, and it worked perfectly.
> Have you tried this?

Not with 8mb RAM.

> df told me 51% of the space was use and I had about 2MB free.

That 2mb is filesystem space. I'm more worried about
the amount of free memory.

> If the second ramdisk is there, would there be some way to
> remove it so as to use the RAM for other purposes?

You could umount it (but I'm not sure whether that will
free up all the RAM). Perhaps reformatting (mke2fs) the
ramdisk to something tiny might work?

> I was NOT able to boot BL2 2-floppy on a computer with
> 5MB RAM, perhaps because it was trying to make a second
> ramdisk.

5mb RAM is insufficient for the kernel and root filesystem.
It never gets close to creating a second ramdisk.

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru