baslinux - Re: [BL] Wireless in BL2 (actually it's more about kernels and such, but whatever)

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Wireless in BL2 (actually it's more about kernels and such, but whatever)
  • Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 17:56:22 +0000 (UTC)

I put disk 1 into a computer which only has 8MB RAM,
hit Ctrl-C instead of Enter, and it worked perfectly.
Have you tried this?

Not with 8mb RAM.

df told me 51% of the space was use and I had about 2MB free.

That 2mb is filesystem space. I'm more worried about
the amount of free memory.

Under 1MB free with both ramdisks mounted.
The same with the second umounted but there is 4MB buffer.

If the second ramdisk is there, would there be some way to
remove it so as to use the RAM for other purposes?

You could umount it (but I'm not sure whether that will
free up all the RAM). Perhaps reformatting (mke2fs) the
ramdisk to something tiny might work?

How do I test if the 4MB buffer is available for use?
What program is on disk1 that requires more than 1M free RAM?
I tried free df du ls less.

1.55MB used by three sh's and three tops and miscellany.
With 4MB used by ram0, 7MB total, the ramdisk could not be using 2.5MB now.

This 486 (DX?) 25 is really speedy compared to the 386-SX20/387, even with less usable (not ramdisk) RAM.

A 1-floppy BL3 could have 2 instead of 3 virtual terminals to save maybe 200K of RAM.