baslinux - Re: [BL] Wireless in BL2 (actually it's more about kernels and such, but whatever)

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Wireless in BL2 (actually it's more about kernels and such, but whatever)
  • Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 06:14:07 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

So the disk created by using rawrite and nx.dsk
and a floppy disk in a: should contain a kernel

Is nx.dsk a boot disk? Rawrite is also used to
create root disks.

Delilinux called it a boot disk.

that can be copied over

Copying a kernel from a boot disk may not be simple.

What more information would you need to tell someone how to copy the kernel over for use with BL?

What are the chances that Delilinux kernels are
'minix'?

None. However, the DeliLinux kernel could be
sitting on a minix filesystem (similar to the
way the BL3 zimage sits on a DOS filesystem).

So then what do you do with it if you want to use it somewhere else?

A root disk contains the root filesystem.

What is a root filesystem,

It's the filesystem that the kernel runs (/sbin/init).
It has the startup files (inittab, fstab, rc, profile).
It's what the loadlin root parameter points at.

all the files that get mounted when you boot?

Files don't get mounted. Filesystems get mounted.
Files get installed?

Is this baslinux.gz, which in BL2 will not fit
into one 1.44 floppy disk so you split them?

Yes.

Why gz not tgz?

Because it is an filesystem image, not an archive.

So Bl3 can be used as a 1-floppy linux

Yes.

With just the first disk, you should be able to
use BL3 in 8MB RAM,

Maybe, maybe not. IIRC the routine that loads the
second floppy creates the second ramdisk before asking
you to insert the second floppy. This alone might crash
a system with only 8mb RAM.

I put disk 1 into a computer which only has 8MB RAM, hit Ctrl-C instead of Enter, and it worked perfectly. Have you tried this? I have only one such 8MB computer. There were 2MB free. I ran only a few very small programs: df and du and ls and less.

I have a laptop with 8MB and will try that shortly.

Good luck. If it does work, do 'free' to see how much
RAM is left and 'df' to see whether the second ramdisk
(at /usr/X11R6) is there.

I did the experiment before getting this information from you.
df told me 51% of the space was use and I had about 2MB free.
There was a second line there which I did not read, as I got interested in looking for a way to put modules on the first disk.

If the second ramdisk is there, would there be some way to remove it so as to use the RAM for other purposes? It is after 1 am here. I will get back to this tomorrow.

I was NOT able to boot BL2 2-floppy on a computer with 5MB RAM, perhaps because it was trying to make a second ramdisk. Long string of the same error message about do-try-to-free-memory-for-swap (or something similar).