baslinux - Re: [BL] Wireless in BL2 (actually it's more about kernels and such, but whatever)

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: Basic Linux Mailling List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Wireless in BL2 (actually it's more about kernels and such, but whatever)
  • Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 15:54:45 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004, Joel wrote:

So I tried the nx.dsk boot disk, and it started. What I tried originally was using the modules on the nxmod.dsk to try to start my wireless card, but it didn't work very well. However, I do now realize that the kernel on there is the one I want. It's the 2.2.26, and appears to be very perfect. :-)
If anybody knows a way to get it off that disk, that would be good. It's in minix format (or so I believe) and I can't mount it. I'm using the bare.i

I don't understand what you are trying to mount - the nx boot floppy disk, from linux? Some DOS diagnostic protgrams will tell us that an ext2 partition is minix because they are not programmed to recognize anything else that is not DOS or Windows. Have you tried booting with the 2-floppy BL3 version and then mounting the nx boot floppy disk to look at it?

kernel from the DeliLinux website. I know, I know, I might be able to mount it with the bare.i kernel from Slackware, but aren't they the same? I guess not.

Slackware 7.1 is 2.2.16 kernel.

Anyway. 2.2.26 kernel with wireless.

Steven, or anyone else, could you explain here about boot and root disks and how BL2 and BL3 2-floppy versions are related? I never could understand it. Does the boot disk contain a kernel and if so, what else?