baslinux - Re: [BL] Wireless in BL2 (actually it's more about kernels and such, but whatever)

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Wireless in BL2 (actually it's more about kernels and such, but whatever)
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 17:56:01 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

is it possible to copy the file system that ends up
in ram0 after deleting and adding things to a file
something like baslinux.gz, copy it to hard drive,
split it into two files if needed to get it to floppy
disk, and load that with loadlin?

Yes. Splitting will probably not be necessary.
The entire root filesystem (compressed) should
fit on one floppy (with the kernel+loadin on
another).

Then I think I would need to modify your BL2 2-floppy installation program to work with baslinux.gz on disk2 rather than combining part1 and part2.

I will see if I can put together a 2-floppy version of BL3 that fits into a 4MB RAMdisk and does not do X, games, pcmcia, or ethernet, for use on older 486s with 8MB RAM, that could also be booted with loadlin from HD on 386s with 3MB RAM and a 30MB hard drive (we have one of these). These don't do pcmcia/ethernet, and with 4-bit color (or even 8-bit color) cannot do links2 graphical in XVESA, so I might include svgalib/seejpeg with links set to use it. zgv is too large. Would links2 fit into a 4MB ramdisk? It has the advantage of handling some javascript, and ssl.

My notes say that to copy changes made in BL2:
cat /dev/ram0 > /tmp/ramdisk (presumably I do this after mounting
the hard drive, and use /tmp on hard drive, for BL3)
cd /tmp
gzip ramdisk (to ramdisk.gz) and rename it to baslinux.gz, which I could then put on the second floppy drive if it is 1.44MB or less.

When I copy BL2 between drives I can use tar and --exclude (in theory, anyway). Should I be excluding /proc somehow when using cat here, since this is a running copy of BL3?