baslinux - Re: [BL] FreeDOS defrag vs Win98

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] FreeDOS defrag vs Win98
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 01:18:42 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

I may just set up with lilo and choose between
DOS, BL3

I also asked about BL2 - can I choose between DOS and two versions of linux on the same computer? I have DOS in hda1 hda2 hda3 hda4 and linux in hdb1 (BL3) and hdb2 (BL2)

Can I add BL2 to the lilo.conf file in BL3 /etc and just execute it once to put both linuxes into the boot sector?

BL3 is the default OS here. How would I set up DOS as the default, by putting it first?

My book does not have 'delay' or 'other', just table and label for DOS.
It says to press Ctrl-Atl or Shift during boot to get a boot prompt at which I can enter BL3 or DOS. Does the following give you 20 something (1/10 seconds?) to choose without the need to press Shift?

I cannot figure out how to put both BL3 and BL2 on here and tell lilo where to look for zimage if they use different kernels. How would lilo know where to look, or does it look for the first /boot/zimage it finds? Would I put BL2 as another 'other' section?

This would also be relevant if we wanted to try putting several different linuxes on one drive to compare how they work.

I see why you steer beginners to loadlin instead.

/etc/lilo.conf
------------------ Questions/comments:
boot=/dev/hda The boot loader lives here.
delay=20 wait 2 seconds?
image=/boot/zimage Is this BL3 /boot partition? /hda3/boot
label=BL3 Type BL3 at boot prompt
root=/dev/hda3 BL3 root is here read-write mount rw
other=/dev/hda1 DOS lives here (I boot it from hda1)
label=DOS
Execute: lilo -v
This assumes the BL3 root filesystem is
/dev/hda3 and the BL3 zimage is in /boot