baslinux - Re: [BL] Re: BL3 with libc6?--BL3-enhanced?

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re: BL3 with libc6?--BL3-enhanced?
  • Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 16:18:38 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

I will try WP8 on BL3 - I think that is all it requires
and it might not even run on BL2 without adding the older
library.

Wordperfect 8 requires libc5. So, it won't run on BL2
(unless you install the old libraries, which seems a
little silly).

Do the newer versions of Firebird (or its latest
incarnation by some other name) need an even newer
library?

Probably (I haven't checked). I'm not really worried
about the latest version of Firebird -- my old version
(Phoenix 0.5) works just fine.

I think you said it was possible to compile with BL3
using source code on a BL2 partition

The BL3 and BL2 partitions would be on the same computer so I don't need to get into NFS, do I? Is it enough just to mount hdb2 and go to the sourcecode directory to compile?

I wanted to have a smaller BL3 directory and put non-executables and non-libraries into the larger BL2 directory where both BLs could use them if needed. Source code, images, pdf files, music, text files.

That way BL3 boots faster (less drive to mount).

Assuming the compiler is installed on BL3 and it is
networked to the BL2 machine, you can simply mount
the BL2 partition (using NFS), cd to the sourcecode
directory and compile it.
Note: to use NFS that way, you'll need to boot BL3
with the bare.i kernel and you'll need to run the
NFS server on BL2.