baslinux - Re floppy drive problem and Re: BL3 with libc6? was Re: [BL] XDM

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re floppy drive problem and Re: BL3 with libc6? was Re: [BL] XDM
  • Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 17:10:45 +0000 (UTC)

I haven't tried installing glibc2 on BL3, but I did try it
on BL1 and it seemed to work fine.

Lovely, do I just install the so package or what?

That's what I did on BL1.

I don't want to overwrite the libc5 files.

Try it first on the loop version (after saving a backup
copy of fs.img). It's great for such experiments.

I did not read this mail first so I tried it first on the HD version.
mount /dev/hdb2 /hd (I have BL2 in hdb2, BL3 in hdb1)
I have the so file in /tgz in BL2 (or on CD).

pkg /hd/tgz/glibc-solibs-2.2.5-i368-2.tgz (from Slackware 8.1)

It installed about 1.7 MB of files in /lib of BL3 and I now have both libc5 and libc6 with different links to each set of files.
(Unlike the situation in BL2 where the upgrade remade the links from 2.1.3 to 2.2.5 - I should probably delete 2.1.3 files now).

libc.so.5 -> libc.so.5.4.44 (BL3 library)
libc.so.6 -> libc-2.2.5.so (SW81 library)

I then copied from BL2 to BL3 pppd and renamed it pppdSW71, then renamed the old pppd pppdsw41 to have backups, and then renamed pppdSW71 to pppd and I was able to dial with eznet (eznet up 0). I will try this with my external modem that would not work with BL3's pppd.

Then I copied lynx 2.8.5 which I had compiled statically for BL2 and glibc2, and the lynx.cfg for it, to the BL3 partition. (I still need to copy cert.pem and lynx.lss to get it to work right with certificates and let me set colors and underline and other attributes, and I probably should just have installed my package but I was experimenting first).
This lynx would not work online with BL1 (did not try it with BL3) but it works now that I have the SW81 glibc2 installed.

Next I can try Opera 7.23, which requires 2.2.5. In fact I can probably upgrade to the latest library (solibs only) if needed, and use a later kernel, to run packages from SW81 (or things like xpdf precompiled) that I cannot find for BL3/SW40, but still use the BL3 and SW40 packages as well, which are smaller, including the compiler. I would also need to add the SW81 dependencies for SW81 packages that are not statically compiled.
I can also then use Redhat and SuSe and Debian packages too, if they are not too distribution specific.

This is the most useful 1.7MB 'add-on' I can imagine.

And this 'upgraded' BL3 occupies much less space than BL2, especially as regards the compiler packages. I can also just copy over some other packages I compiled with BL2 (antiword, photopc, bmv), and use the Delilinux links2 with SVGAlib on laptop computers without 16-bit color.

What reason would there be to use BL2 now? ---------
What is the symptom of a bad floppy drive controller? We replaced the floppy drive twice on one computer, tested it with floppymeter the second time (put in our best floppy drive because the previous one kept finding bad sectors in perfectly good disks) and now it will not recognize three good floppy disks at all (in linux or DOS). Linux realizes there is a disk but tells me it is write-protected (it is not, I just wrote to it on another computer). Then complains about sectors being bad. DOS just won't read at all - abort, retry, fail.

Can you add a controller card with the HD controllers disabled to replace the onboard controller? Unfortunately our cards are all ISA and the slots are full. Might be time to switch computers again as we were given one other with 4 ISA slots that will work at 200MHz instead of 233MHz (and takes the four 64MB SIMMs). Yesterday someone also gave us a working Super Socket 7 board with 350MHz cpu but only two ISA slots. Scanner card, modem, TTL card, sound card. Has anyone tried BL2/Bl3 with a PCI sound card? I have a trident and an esssolo. And an external modem which may finally work in BL3 with the later pppd.

I get errors when trying to mount either floppy drive (360K B: or 1.44MB A:). End Request: I/O Error.... sector 0.
I am told they are both write protected. They are not.