baslinux - Re: BL3 with libc6? was Re: [BL] XDM

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: BL3 with libc6? was Re: [BL] XDM
  • Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 03:12:43 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

BL2 with Xvesa would take a lot of fiddling to get Abiword
to work,

Why? AbiWord works fine on BL2. Your choice of Xserver
shouldn't change that.

I thought you said it will not work with Xvesa. I never installed your VGA X setup, just the minimal pieces of xinb xlib xpm etc needed for Xvesa to work. I am not going to bother with the S3 or SVGA servers.
This was something about Abiword fonts. Or did you compile Abiword differently for BL2? I did not try it because the Bl3 version was a bit smaller.

Can BL3 be used with both libc5 AND the libc6-so from SW8.1?

I haven't tried installing glibc2 on BL3, but I did try it
on BL1 and it seemed to work fine.

Lovely, do I just install the so package or what? I don't want to overwrite the libc5 files.

We would have a choice of using BL3 or BL2 kernel, the
latter having a few more features (I forget what)

The BL2 kernel has CDrom and NFS capabilities built in.
Those are not in the BL3 kernel (although it does have
built-in loop capability, which the BL2 kernel lacks).
There are some other differences too.

I would not know what to do with NFS capabilities and I can simply use CD-ROM modules on the rare occasions that I load software. BL3 kernel boots a bit faster, I think.

If you really want to run xdm, I suggest you
install BL2 instead of BL3 (it will probably be
easier in the long run).

If we wanted 'easier' there are linuxes that make
all the decisions for you.

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. I try again:
If you want to run xdm, use BL2. BL3 is not
really suitable for that.
Happy?

I am usually happy.