baslinux - Re: [BL] Re: BL3 with libc6?--BL3-enhanced?

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Re: BL3 with libc6?--BL3-enhanced?
  • Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 23:47:32 +0000 (UTC)

I added the glibc solibs packages from SW81 to BL3:

pkg /hd/tgz/glibc-solibs-2.2.5-i368-2.tgz (from Slackware 8.1)
This is the most useful 1.7MB 'add-on' I can imagine.

And this 'upgraded' BL3 occupies much less space than BL2, especially as
regards the compiler packages. I can also just copy over some other
packages I compiled with BL2 (antiword, photopc, bmv), and use the
Delilinux links2 with SVGAlib on laptop computers without 16-bit color.

What reason would there be to use BL2 now?
---------

This is really interesting, Sindi. "BL3-enhanced"? Please let us know
how things work for you. I'm guessing you might run into Xvesa problems
like Steven was having (certain apps just seem to not want to run under
it). It could really enhance BL3 if newer versions of Opera would run
under it. Also interesting how compiling will work. Anyway, please keep
us posted on further "BL3-enhanced" developments.

So far all the old programs still work, such as Abiword, icewm, and links. (The delilinux links2 requires four other libraries for SVGAlib graphics, and bmv requires one of them).

The new programs that I tried work: lynx-2.8.5 (I installed the whole package but you really only need lynx lynx.cfg lynx.lss and cert.pem). I did not copy over kermit because it requires ncurses and I have compiled a non-ncurses version for BL1/BL3 that is also newer. antiword is okay too.

No problems of any sort. I probably could have just added the one libc file instead of the package (maybe with a symlink) but the rest of the package was relatively small (including documentation). I have not yet tried compiling.

I presume you could also add libc5 to BL2 and run most BL3/SW4.0 programs that way, such as Steven's links2.

James