baslinux - Re: BL3 with libc6? was Re: [BL] XDM

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: BL3 with libc6? was Re: [BL] XDM
  • Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 15:11:50 +1300

sindi keesan wrote:

> BL2 with Xvesa would take a lot of fiddling to get Abiword
> to work,

Why? AbiWord works fine on BL2. Your choice of Xserver
shouldn't change that.

> Can BL3 be used with both libc5 AND the libc6-so from SW8.1?

I haven't tried installing glibc2 on BL3, but I did try it
on BL1 and it seemed to work fine.

> We would have a choice of using BL3 or BL2 kernel, the
> latter having a few more features (I forget what)

The BL2 kernel has CDrom and NFS capabilities built in.
Those are not in the BL3 kernel (although it does have
built-in loop capability, which the BL2 kernel lacks).
There are some other differences too.

> > If you really want to run xdm, I suggest you
> > install BL2 instead of BL3 (it will probably be
> > easier in the long run).
>
> If we wanted 'easier' there are linuxes that make
> all the decisions for you.

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. I try again:
If you want to run xdm, use BL2. BL3 is not
really suitable for that.
Happy?

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru