baslinux - [BL] Re: BL3 with libc6?--BL3-enhanced?

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Re: BL3 with libc6?--BL3-enhanced?
  • Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 13:18:07 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004, sindi keesan wrote:

> I did not read this mail first so I tried it first on the HD version.
> mount /dev/hdb2 /hd (I have BL2 in hdb2, BL3 in hdb1)
> I have the so file in /tgz in BL2 (or on CD).
>
> pkg /hd/tgz/glibc-solibs-2.2.5-i368-2.tgz (from Slackware 8.1)
>
> It installed about 1.7 MB of files in /lib of BL3 and I now have both
> libc5 and libc6 with different links to each set of files.
> (Unlike the situation in BL2 where the upgrade remade the links from 2.1.3
> to 2.2.5 - I should probably delete 2.1.3 files now).
>
> libc.so.5 -> libc.so.5.4.44 (BL3 library)
> libc.so.6 -> libc-2.2.5.so (SW81 library)
>
> I then copied from BL2 to BL3 pppd and renamed it pppdSW71, then renamed
> the old pppd pppdsw41 to have backups, and then renamed pppdSW71 to pppd
> and I was able to dial with eznet (eznet up 0). I will try this with my
> external modem that would not work with BL3's pppd.
<snip>
> This is the most useful 1.7MB 'add-on' I can imagine.
>
> And this 'upgraded' BL3 occupies much less space than BL2, especially as
> regards the compiler packages. I can also just copy over some other
> packages I compiled with BL2 (antiword, photopc, bmv), and use the
> Delilinux links2 with SVGAlib on laptop computers without 16-bit color.
>
> What reason would there be to use BL2 now?
> ---------

This is really interesting, Sindi. "BL3-enhanced"? Please let us know
how things work for you. I'm guessing you might run into Xvesa problems
like Steven was having (certain apps just seem to not want to run under
it). It could really enhance BL3 if newer versions of Opera would run
under it. Also interesting how compiling will work. Anyway, please keep
us posted on further "BL3-enhanced" developments.

James