baslinux - Re: [BL] More room

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] More room
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 04:38:48 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004, Ron Clarke wrote:

Which version of BL3 are you using? Versions prior to 3.30
had a 16mb fs.img. This was increased to 20mb in 3.30.

I installed BL31 (20 MB) ad installed AbiWord.
That filled the 20 MB and was not even a complete install.
I don't think 20 MB is going to be enough for BL31.

Do you mean you installed BL3.31? I think Steven said previous versions would not work at all with Abiword. And he also thought people would not be installing Abiword to the loop version but first install BL to hard drive.

So I made it into a 50 MB img, then installed AbiWord.
It installed with space to spare, but doesn't run in icewm. :(
Keeps giving locale errors.

Was it only supposed to run under Xvesa ?

Icewm is something that goes on top of Xvesa, not a replacement.
You can use Xvesa in BL2. Download and install the xvesa.tgz package from delilinux and then type (as root - or first chmod +s Xvesa)

xinit -- /usr/X11R6/bin/Xvesa -screen 800x600x16

The above works in BL2 or BL3 (unless I goofed on some detail).

The -screen part is optional, but without it you get plain VGA and some X programs won't work with that (Opera 7, Abiword, flwriter).

This should give you Xvesa with icewm and an rxvt (if not, add &rxvt).
The locale complaints are somehow related to Xvesa and I also get them with Opera. I forget if Steven said Abiword was supposed to work despite the locale problem. I will try this soon once I get my changes packaged and scripted.

Xvesa is an X server like xvga or xs3.
Icewm and swm are window managers. You can use X without them.

Regards,
Ron

--
Ron Clarke