baslinux - Re: [BL] Sound works (workbone), Realaudio won't install in Xvesa

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne AT earthlink.com.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Sound works (workbone), Realaudio won't install in Xvesa
  • Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 08:37:56 +1000

Hi Sindi,

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 15:40:14 +0000
sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:

> > http://www.simtel.net/pub/pd/17707.html

> I figured this out and found it somewhere else already, long URL, and
> downloaded the 800K zip file but have not yet tried it out.

Yep, that's the one that includes to source.

> Sounds handy - plays midi, wav, mp3 and audio CDs. Is there something
> similarly all-purpose for linux?

Not all in one executable that I have found.

> Or have you tried compiling this source code for use with linux?

No. The only DOS stuff I compile is done with a sub-set of Pascal
called PBPlus, which gives me .EXE files that run in DOS and Windows up to XP.

> While searching I ran across lots of other DOS audio programs.

Yes, there are heaps. Some better than others.
This is one subject in which I have a lot of experience.

I even put together a DOS package (with the permission of the authors)
that includes MIDI, MOD, MP3 and audio-CD players, while being able
to display long file names. I needed it to navigate through a large
number of CDs of MP3 files, sent to me by a good friend using a
Windows system (long file names).

If I remember right, it all zips down to about half a MB.

Regards,
Ron

--
Ron Clarke