baslinux - Re: [BL] Sound works (ESS SOLO), Realaudio WILL install in Xvesa

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Sound works (ESS SOLO), Realaudio WILL install in Xvesa
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 04:48:30 +0000

I could not get Realplayer to work with lynx - it complained about the
wrong format. When I finally just typed in the URL in the little RP
window the window disappeared. I think lynx cannot multitask.

So I quit lynx, having copied down a few URLs of stations ending in .ram
or .rmm, and while in Xvesa/rxvt typed realplay, then mouse on File, Open,
type in the URL at the bottom on the File line, Enter key, and it
is playing! You need X but not a browser. The browser is only to track
down useful URLs and it is possible to make a list of them instead.

X is needed only because Realaudio was designed to be a resource hog.

Is there any way to automate playing .ram files from a list, maybe with
MC, instead of typing them in? It would have to be done in X. And there
is probably some easier way to record the URLs than paper and pencil,
maybe by printing out from lynx one of the sites with links to radio
stations, and getting the full list at the end of the text document.

I am currently telnetted in a text terminal, while listening to a
Beethoven piano concerto in X.