baslinux - [BL] SB16 play problems continue - 'invalid audio size buffer'

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] SB16 play problems continue - 'invalid audio size buffer'
  • Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 23:46:06 +0000

I gave up on sound a while back because the cd-player complained of not
being able to find /dev/cdrom and recently I read the instructions and
made a /dev/cdrom, and workbone works.

But I continue to have problems playing .wav files on two SB16 cards.
With bplay: inappropriate ioctl for device"
With play: sox: invalid audio size buffer 0

Web research revealed that people all over the place are having trouble
with certain sound cards and linux installations, in Dutch, Swedish,
Russian, etc.

play give one message, bplay another, and they are related because I found
a driver in which the second message is generated
if (abuf_size <4 || abufsize > 65536)
following a couple of lines about audioctl. There was also more
discussion of audio device drivers and audioctl which was way beyond me
even in English.

A couple of people with SB16 cards said their PCI version worked but their
ISA version did not. Someone with kernel 2.2.16 (RH6.1) had the same
error message about ioctl using esd or OpenAL that I got with bplay.
Someone with Debian 2.1 upgraded to kernel 2.2.12 had the size buffer
message. es1370 worked with sox but gave error messages with bplay.
Vibra16 had the same errors as SB16.

I am wondering if a newer version of these players might work better, but
it looks like the newer cards work where the older ones do not. I can try
sox from SW8.1 as an experiment. Ron, what version of sox works for you?

Workbone works okay. For some reason I had to set IRQ=10 on both cards
even though IRQ5 does not appear to be taken on this computer (lp0 is
irq7, but sb insists irq 5 is busy, even in DOS diagnose program, as well
as in linux). The other card did not offer any IRQs other than 10-14.
Perhaps the player does not like IRQ 10? I have a couple more SB16s.

Does Realaudio play anything requiring an audio size buffer?

Maybe some sound cards are not suitable for linux. I had two MGA cards
that worked fine in DOS but not linux.