baslinux - Re: [BL] BL1 without swap partition can compile

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL1 without swap partition can compile
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 09:32:02 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004, Sindi Keesan wrote:

> Why does uClibc provide kernel 2.4 headers? What are they used for?

This is the uClibc Debian system they provide for download there, right?
If so, then I think kernel headers are provided for compiling programs
that may need access to kernel headers. The VMWare I run on my newer
computer, for example, needs access to kernel headers to compile. The
uClibc Debian they offer is, after all, primarily for developers who may
want to try building programs using uClibc to see if/how they work.

> Where would I notice the improvement if I do add swap space? Would
> previously used programs load faster, or the compiler run faster?

I think he's recommending swap for situations in which your computer might
run out of physical memory, not necessarily to improve performance. Sort
of a safety valvwe scenario, as i understand it. Should you run out of
physical memory, your system will become unstable and crash. You risk
losing data in such cases, and maybe even risk fatally damaging your Linux
installation.

James