baslinux - Re: [BL] BL1 without swap partition can compile

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL1 without swap partition can compile
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 04:14:36 +0000

Sindi Keesan wrote:

> They offer a 17MB download of a packed 'toolkit'
> which I think includes gcc

I've been using it for the past few months. I used
it to compile the static binaries in BL3. It works
fine (once you find an appropriate kernel to use).

> Would BL3 be based on 2.4 if using uClibc?

No, I will be sticking with the same kernel.

> The actual library looked like less than 1MB,
> so it would fit okay, but the compiler seems to
> require more hard disk than that for SW3 (BL1
> and BL3).

That uClibc package includes much more than the
bare compiler. For what it provides, it is quite
compact.

> I was just given a pentium 166 laptop with 1.5G
> hard drive

Plenty of room for swap on that HD.

> with 32MB I don't think I need swap space

You are wrong. Do yourself a favour and create
a 64mb swap partition. That's less than 5% of
the HD.

> Could I compile with BL3 from source code in
> BL2

Yes. Just cd to the sourcecode directory (wherever
it is) and make.

> after mounting just part of a BL2 partition such
> as /src ?

You can't mount just part of a partition. The
entire partition is mounted (or not).