baslinux - Re: [BL] BL1 without swap partition can compile

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL1 without swap partition can compile
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 21:29:21 -0000

James Miller wrote:

> How BL would work in this scenario remains a bit unclear:

At the moment I tend using pkg or something similar.
The user downloads the package and executes the command
on that package. No dependency checking. No uninstall.

> You'd have to use one with packages built specifically
> with uClibc.

I plan on directing users to:
http://www.uclibc.org/dists/uwoody/main/binary-i386/

> But will they keep providing the full Debian distro
> built with uClibc there?

Good question. I assume it is there long-term (same
as I assume the Slackware stuff will contine to be
available). However, it might be a good idea to keep
our own copy somewhere (assuming the uClibc version
of BL3 ever eventuates).

BTW, even though all my main computers are sitting in
boxes, I have done some preliminary investigation on
converting BL3 (using my remaining computer -- a 486
laptop). First I deleted all the libraries in the BL3
/lib directory. As expected, BL3 still boots (because
the BL3 base is statically compiled). I then copied
over the uClibc libraries from the uClibc root_fs and
replaced some of the non-static BL3 binaries from the
Debian archive. Many of them worked right away, but
some were dependent on additional libraries. I was
particularly annoyed with the Debian less, which is
dependent on a very large library (nearly a megabyte)
that I think is related to internationalization. So
I'm going to have to compile my own version of less
(and some others). However, all in all, it went pretty
smoothly.

> I'm pretty sure a swap file can be put on a FAT partition,
> yes. That's what Knoppix does/did if it needs to be run in
> marginal RAM conditions

BL3 comes with a preconfigured swap file that sits in
the C:\baslin directory. It is essential for systems
with 4mb RAM. You activate swap.zip by unzipping it.

> I think I would have to do just as much research as
> you to figure out the finer points.

For a pretty good explanation: man mkswap