baslinux - Re: [BL] Rescue Disk not needed anymore but what about partitions

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Rescue Disk not needed anymore but what about partitions
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 11:48:42 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Sindi Keesan wrote:
> >
> > I think Steven explained that if you only want to
> > run linux on your computer, 1MB should be enough
> > for DOS.
>
> 1mb is sufficient for booting Linux (after it is installed).
> However the version of BL1 for 4mb RAM needs a bigger DOS
> partition to do the installation. I don't remember the
> exact amount (5mb?) -- it's in the instructions, which I
> do not have on this computer.

Did you say there was some way to make a 9MB or larger DOS partition,
then install linux, then convert most of the DOS partition to swap using
the linux fdisk after linux is installed? (Or even with a DOS program
such as pqmagic, or the several other partition managers and editors that
list members have suggested). That would keep from wasting the 4MB needed
while installing linux using a 5MB DOS partition.

> > Is there some advantage to using more than 8MB swap
> > partition, Steven?
>
> With 4mb RAM, 12mb swap is slightly better than 8mb.
> However, the HD is only 40mb so that extra 4mb is
> precious. There is no clear answer to this one.
> On one hand, the compiler will appreciate the extra
> swap; on the other, the extra 4mb would be really
> handy for adding capabilies or for just storing
> your source code.

If someone will be compiling only short programs under 1MB source code,
could they be compiled from floppy disk? Can you run programs from
mounted floppy disks, and if so do you need to modify mstab or anything
else to do so, or run chroot, or ....?