baslinux - Re: [BL] BL1 without swap partition can compile

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL1 without swap partition can compile
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 10:06:14 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Sindi Keesan wrote:
> >
> > They offer a 17MB download of a packed 'toolkit'
> > which I think includes gcc
>
> I've been using it for the past few months. I used
> it to compile the static binaries in BL3. It works
> fine (once you find an appropriate kernel to use).
>
> > Would BL3 be based on 2.4 if using uClibc?
>
> No, I will be sticking with the same kernel.

Why does uClibc provide kernel 2.4 headers? What are they used for?

Will you be recompiling the binaries for BL3 as dynamic instead of static,
and including the library from uClibc in BL3 instead of libc5? (Which
would I think make it impossible to use most programs from SW).

> > The actual library looked like less than 1MB,
> > so it would fit okay, but the compiler seems to
> > require more hard disk than that for SW3 (BL1
> > and BL3).
>
> That uClibc package includes much more than the
> bare compiler. For what it provides, it is quite
> compact.

All I could understand was that it provided gcc and kernel headers along
with the small library, but gcc seemed to be much larger than for SW3 or 4
(libc5).

> > I was just given a pentium 166 laptop with 1.5G
> > hard drive

Make that 100MHz and 24MB RAM.

> Plenty of room for swap on that HD.
>
> > with 32MB I don't think I need swap space
>
> You are wrong. Do yourself a favour and create
> a 64mb swap partition. That's less than 5% of
> the HD.

I was able to run Opera in 16MB RAM without swap space. I have not yet
had occasion to run two X programs at the same time.

Where would I notice the improvement if I do add swap space? Would
previously used programs load faster, or the compiler run faster?

If I have swap space I lose one of the four partitions and I cannot add a
second hard drive to a laptop. DOS BL3 BL2 swap? Can you explain again
what a swap file is and does it avoid the need to use up a partition?

> > Could I compile with BL3 from source code in
> > BL2
>
> Yes. Just cd to the sourcecode directory (wherever
> it is) and make.
>
> > after mounting just part of a BL2 partition such
> > as /src ?
>
> You can't mount just part of a partition. The
> entire partition is mounted (or not).

And there is no point in having a separate partition just for files shared
between linux versions. I will keep the BL3 partition small and use BL2
for source code.

Are there some programs that cannot be compiled statically in BL3 and used
in BL2?
Sindi