baslinux - Re: [BL] BL1 without swap partition can compile

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL1 without swap partition can compile
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 00:28:50 -0000

Sindi Keesan wrote:

> We did not try adding a swap file

With 4mb RAM, you should have swap.

> Anyway, why does BL3 have less free RAM than BL1

It might not. The kernel uses free RAM to cache data
(for potential use) and this makes the free RAM look
smaller than it actually is.

> Does BL need more RAM to run on a newer computer?

No, but the kernel allocates RAM differently on different
systems. For example, on systems with plenty of RAM, the
kernel takes more RAM for its workspace. On systems with
less RAM, the kernel is more economical.

> In 4MB RAM I can use BL3 with kermit to telnet, no swap
> partition,

That is bad advice. Systems with 4mb RAM should always have
swap.

> but it is rather slow and clicks a lot.

Add to that: it is potentially unstable.

> And you don't even need a swap partition.

Please stop saying that. You are misleading readers.

> Would it be possible to learn to compile with BL1 using
> not libc5 but uClibc

Yes. uClibc is a C library. It is able to handle most
standard C soucecode.

> and if so would it work better in low RAM?

Probably. That's why I hope to move BL3 to uClibc.

> How much disk space does uClibc take up?

About half libc5.