baslinux - Re: [BL] BL1 without swap partition can compile

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL1 without swap partition can compile
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 20:53:32 -0000

Sindi Keesan wrote:

> If Basiclinux is going to change to a new library
> and needs to get add-ons from Debian instead of
> Slackware,

Kernels and modules will still come from Slackware 7.1.
There will be some add-on packages provided (as now).
However, for users who want a wider selection, it is
nice that there is an up-to-date distribution using
the same library.

> would it be BL4 instead of BL3?

Probably.

> I find it rather confusing to get hold of Debian packages.

There will be a link to a site where you will find a big
long list of packages (in alphabetical order). You simply
download the package you want, execute pkg (or whatever)
and it installs. Same as now. I do not intend using the
Debian package manager.

> Can someone explain how to make a swap file on an existing
> partition,

To make an 8mb swap file:
dd if=/dev/zero of=swapfilename bs=1024 count=8192
mkswap swapfilename 8192
sync

To turn on the swap file:
swapon swapfilename

> and can it be on the FAT32 or FAT16 or BL2 partition,

Any of those will probably work; however, I expect a
Linux filesystem (eg ext2) to be best.

> for use by both BL2 and BL3?

As long as you mount the partition the swap file sits
on, it will be available. Naturally you will have to
give the full pathname for the swap file.