baslinux - RE: [BL] BL3 reports=>Freedos

  • From: "Theo Perry" <theo.perry AT xtra.co.nz>
  • To: <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [BL] BL3 reports=>Freedos
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 22:47:37 +1200

Hi,
I succeeded in booting BL3 from Freedos after a quite a lot of trial and
error. If I recall correctly, in the first instance I partitioned the
hard drive using Ranish Part Manager and used the same utility to format
the dos partition. I had problems installing Freedos as my old 486 did
not have a CD booting ability. The boot floppy image had a CD driver
that did not function with my CD. I got around that by installing the
hard drive into a newer machine that could boot from a CD and installing
Freedos.

The hard drive was refitted into the 486 and BL3 was installed. It would
not boot. I cannot remember the problem, but think it was to do with the
memory manager. I then made a boot floppy using Freedos, deleted the
Freedos installation and used sys c: to put the Freedos system files
only onto the hard drive. On reinstalling BL3 it booted fine. This
method was probably a bit roundabout, but I could not unravel the
autoexec.bat and config.sys files to prevent the starting of the
troublesome function.

Regrettably, I then wiped the whole thing by playing around
(unsuccessfully) with FreeBSD, so the above is very much from memory. I
do recall that I was not successful in starting BL3 in one 486 with 8meg
of RAM, but did succeed with a different machine with 16meg RAM.

Hope this helps

Theo