baslinux - [BL] Hybrid BL1/BL3

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Hybrid BL1/BL3
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 13:11:39 -0400 (EDT)

Would there be any problem in installing BL3 to hard drive but also
copying over from BL1 the pertinent modules, ftp (and /etc/services) and,
to the DOS directory from which one boots with loadlin, the BL1 kernel
(renamed to zImage1 and the other zImage3) with two different boot batch
files? This would make it possible to use the smaller kernel on occasions
when Xvesa (which won't work with the older kernel) or the newer kernel
modules are not needed, and thereby save a little RAM. Steven, what is
the size difference between the BL1 and BL3 kernels?

It might be possible (I am hoping) to run BL1 with svgalib in 3M RAM, if
the kernel loads into significantly less RAM than the BL3 kernel. BL3
with X in 3M did not work, it crashed (I should have had a swap space).
My only laptop computer is a 386 with 3M RAM. It works (excruciatingly
slowly) with Arachne, better if you delete the icons and quite well with a
non-NLS version of Lynx for DOS and lxpic viewer. If links2 graphical
with svgalib does not fit into 3M RAM, I could still try with seejpeg
instead.

What viewer is used in BL1? Is this something that can easily be copied
to BL3?