baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 reports => FTP

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 reports => FTP
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 10:00:42 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> > > Why are you running it in an xterm?
> >
> > Why not?
>
> Because when things go wrong, it is hard to tell whether
> the problem is caused by the application or from the way
> X is handling the application.

Ok. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the tip.

> > Creating the file /etc/service and adding there lines
> > to the effect
> > ---------------------------
> > ftp 21/tcp
> > fsp 21/tcp fspd
> > ---------------------------
> > did, indeed, cause the ftp client from BL1 to work (I copied
> > information for /etc/services from my Debian system
>
> Or you could have also copied it from BL1 or BL2 (or just about
> any version of Linux in existence).

Ok. I could have copied it from the BL1 install I did on an old 386 I
have (which is where I got BL1 ftp from). For furture reference.

> > I was hoping to get mc's ftp capabilities working, since it
> > gives a nice listing of files and dirs on local and remote
> > machine from/to which copying can be done.
>
> I believe somebody did that with BL3 a while back. Either ftp
> or mcserv can be used to do it. I'm sure mcserv works for BL3
> because I did it myself.
>
> > I now think the problem with mc's ftp capabilities lies with
> > the mount command.
>
> IIRC, the person who got mc working via ftp was using BL3. If
> so, mount was not an issue in that case. Are you sure your ftp
> setup is OK -- permissions and all that?
>
> > mount -t ftpfs user:passwd AT IP.ofyour.ftp.server
>
> Is that what you have to do to get mc to work? I don't remember
> anything like that in the previous discussion. Perhaps you would
> find it easier to use mcserv for this?

I think the previous discussion was how to get mcserv to work in BL3.
There was a portmapping problem, IIRC. mcserv is a bit of a different
solution. I'm reluctant to use it since I'm already running various ftp
servers on my network: why start another set of servers? In any case, I
can probably make due with BL1's ftp if I can't get ftp to work via mc.

James