baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 reports

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 reports
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 08:32:09 +1200

James Miller wrote:

> I decided that, to update to the newer BL3, all I'd
> really need to do was replace the initfs.gz file
> currently in c:\baslin. Is this correct?

No. You need to change the fs.img. The only changes
between 3.20 and 3.21 were in fs.img and readme.txt

> My laptop's screen is pretty tiny, and since I'm stuck
> at 640x480 resolution (don't think the display will go
> any higher),

That's the norm with 486 laptops. All of my laptops are
640x480. One does 16 colors, one does 256 colors and one
does 4096 colors.

> font size is a problem. Using links, for example, many
> pages I tried to visit were getting pushed offscreen

I assume you are talking about running links in X?
Or do you get that problem from the CLI?

> how to I get links to display with a smaller font?

In X, links runs on top of rxvt and takes its font. So,
to change the font for links (in X), change the rxvt font.
There are two good ways to do this:
(1) Globally change the rxvt font in ~/.Xdefaults
(2) Selectively add -fn parameter in /usr/share/swm/menu.sh

The current rxvt font is 9x15. The next smallest is: 6x13

> links displays in a terminal window with a scrollbar on
> the left.

That comes from rxvt. I believe the +sb parameter turns off
the scrollbar (see 'man rxvt' for details).