baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 reports => FTP

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 reports => FTP
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 10:14:05 +1200

James Miller wrote:

> I think the previous discussion was how to get mcserv
> to work in BL3.

True, but IIRC somebody then chimed in with an ftp solution.
Or perhaps my memory is going.

> There was a portmapping problem, IIRC.

I vaguely remember that. I'm pretty sure we fixed that
(or discovered it was a red herring). Anyway, mcserv
was working fine for me (although it didn't really matter
because I'm not an mc fan).

> I'm reluctant to use it since I'm already running various
> ftp servers on my network: why start another set of servers?
> In any case, I can probably make due with BL1's ftp if I can't
> get ftp to work via mc.

I could be completely wrong on this, but I have the impression
that mc does not need the ftp executable. That capability is
built in (just like its capability to use mcserv). Moreover,
from the mc manpage, it seems to me that ftpfs is something
implemented inside mc (not something expected of mount).

If I cared more about mc, I would look into this more closely.
But my best guess is the default BL3 is an adequate platform
for mc to mount remote directories via ftp. You *might* need
to add /etc/services, but nothing beyond that (other than mc
of course).