baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 reports => FTP

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 reports => FTP
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 18:54:33 +1200

James Miller wrote:

> > Why are you running it in an xterm?
>
> Why not?

Because when things go wrong, it is hard to tell whether
the problem is caused by the application or from the way
X is handling the application.

> Creating the file /etc/service and adding there lines
> to the effect
> ---------------------------
> ftp 21/tcp
> fsp 21/tcp fspd
> ---------------------------
> did, indeed, cause the ftp client from BL1 to work (I copied
> information for /etc/services from my Debian system

Or you could have also copied it from BL1 or BL2 (or just about
any version of Linux in existence).

> I was hoping to get mc's ftp capabilities working, since it
> gives a nice listing of files and dirs on local and remote
> machine from/to which copying can be done.

I believe somebody did that with BL3 a while back. Either ftp
or mcserv can be used to do it. I'm sure mcserv works for BL3
because I did it myself.

> I now think the problem with mc's ftp capabilities lies with
> the mount command.

IIRC, the person who got mc working via ftp was using BL3. If
so, mount was not an issue in that case. Are you sure your ftp
setup is OK -- permissions and all that?

> mount -t ftpfs user:passwd AT IP.ofyour.ftp.server

Is that what you have to do to get mc to work? I don't remember
anything like that in the previous discussion. Perhaps you would
find it easier to use mcserv for this?