baslinux - Re: [BL] Hybrid BL1/BL3

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Hybrid BL1/BL3
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 07:53:52 +1200

Sindi Keesan wrote:

> Would there be any problem in installing BL3 to hard
> drive but also copying over from BL1 the pertinent
> modules

BL1 modules will not work on BL3.

> ftp (and /etc/services)

Binaries from BL1 should work on BL3, but you might have
to copy an extra library or two (from BL1).

> Steven, what is the size difference between the BL1 and
> BL3 kernels?

BL1 2.0.34 464762
BL3 2.2.16 435775

> It might be possible (I am hoping) to run BL1 with svgalib
> in 3M RAM,

Unlikely.

> if the kernel loads into significantly less RAM than the
> BL3 kernel.

On the contrary. The BL3 kernel is smaller. So is the BL3 init.
BL3 is significantly leaner than BL1.

> My only laptop computer is a 386 with 3M RAM.

If I had such a laptop, I would install a large DOS partition
and a smaller Linux partition (plus 6mb swap partition). Forget
about X on such a machine. If you want a GUI, use DOS.

> It works (excruciatingly slowly) with Arachne,

I seem to recall that Arachne performance could be greatly
improved by using a HD cache and/or putting the temp directory
in a ramdisk (or was that the entire Arachne tree in a ramdisk?).

> If links2 graphical with svgalib does not fit into 3M RAM,

links2 graphical is not viable on 3mb RAM.

> What viewer is used in BL1?

A stripped version of vimage. It only views GIFs.

> Is this something that can easily be copied to BL3?

You would also have to copy the libvga files.