baslinux - Re: [BL] Glibc version (again)

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Glibc version (again)
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 17:09:06 +1200

Matrix Mole wrote:

> Would any changes to the source need to be made to account
> for the older library? I've heard that some programs wrote
> for newer libraries won't compile on older ones just because
> of certain command calls that may not be supported.

This is certainly an issue when compiling with libc5. There
are many significant differences between libc5 and the current
glibc2. However, the differences between version 2.1 of glibc
and 2.3 are relatively minor. The main problem when compiling
current sourcecode with BL2 is missing packages. Sourcecode
is becoming more complex and expects additional functionality,
like autoconf, automake, bison, gettext, perl, etc. Usually
you will find the necessary package(s) in /slakware/d1, but
first you have to figure out what is missing by reading the
error messages. I suppose such unpleasantness could be avoided
by installing every package in /slakware/d1 (but that would
hardly be minimalistic).