baslinux - Re: [BL] Glibc version (again)

  • From: Matrix Mole <matrixm AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Glibc version (again)
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 04:21:22 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 24 May 2004, Ron Clarke wrote:

> I was the one with those problems. I tried to instal 2.3.x, but the
> only one
> I could find at the time was an .rpm package that got a bit scrambled in the
> unpacking - one of the main bits was corrupted, and it caused my BL2 not to
> boot.
> It took a lot of manual deleting/re-linking to fix it, and I haven't
> been
> game to try it again. Yet ! A pity, because there is a lot of great
> applications
> that need glibc-2.3.x.so to run. e.g. xine, ytree, xvideo, etc..

Slackware 9.1 has glibc and glibc.so version 2.3.2 IIRC. So, if you really
need the 2.3.2 libs then you can get them from ftp.slackware.com or any
appropriate mirror (in the /pub/slackware9.1 directory, again IIRC).

I seems that like Sindi, youve got a mixed library system. That may be
what has caused all the problems reported by everyone with problems
upgrading libraries, the mixtures that is. As I don't intend to try and
keep the older lirbraries on the system, I think I may be ok in
overwriting what is allready there.

> Is there likely to be any such problem with installing the equivalent
> package from
> Slackware 9.1 ? Steven ? Anybody ?

As long as you have all the required libraries upgraded to the needed
version, I don't see how there could be any problems with installing
packages from slackware 9.1. I was considering downloading and burning a
SW91 CD just to have all the "most recent" as of now files in case I
wanted to upgrade anything else.

--
Matrix Mole
matrixm AT sdf.lonestar.org