baslinux - Re: [BL] Glibc version (again)

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne AT earthlink.com.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Glibc version (again)
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 14:19:47 +1000

Hi Folks,

On Tue, 25 May 2004 17:09:06 +1200
3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> This is certainly an issue when compiling with libc5. There
> are many significant differences between libc5 and the current
> glibc2. However, the differences between version 2.1 of glibc
> and 2.3 are relatively minor. The main problem when compiling
> current sourcecode with BL2 is missing packages. Sourcecode
> is becoming more complex and expects additional functionality,
> like autoconf, automake, bison, gettext, perl, etc. Usually
> you will find the necessary package(s) in /slakware/d1, but
> first you have to figure out what is missing by reading the
> error messages. I suppose such unpleasantness could be avoided
> by installing every package in /slakware/d1 (but that would
> hardly be minimalistic).

I agree with you, if all you want is a minimalist installation.

OTOH, I have always looked at BasicLinux as a means to put my toe
into Linux waters, and slowly learn by adding stuff. And the stuff
I am adding (and trying to add) is always going to be stuff that is
of interest to me - and that includes multimedia. And that is where
I run up against needing newer libraries and functionalities.

I learn slow, but I learn better when there is a point to what I am doing.
e.g. I am currently using timidity, bladeenc and id3tool to make
quality MP3s from my MIDIs.

Regards,
Ron

--