baslinux - Re: [BL] Glibc version (again)

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne AT earthlink.com.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Glibc version (again)
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 10:39:06 +1000

Hi Folks,

On Mon, 24 May 2004 16:51:09 +1200
3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Ron Clarke wrote:
> >
> > A pity, because there is a lot of great applications that need
> > glibc-2.3.x.so to run. e.g. xine, ytree, xvideo, etc..
>
> Most of those will probably run on glibc-2.1 if you compile
> them on that foundation.

Hmmmm ! I have only managed to compile one package so far - a very
small
CLI editor for ID3 tags inside MP3 files. Every other compilation I have
tried
has failed with error messages, some including "something.2.3.x.something not
found".
And, like Sindi, I have mixed libraries on my BL21 installations.

> > Is there likely to be any such problem with installing the
> > equivalent package from Slackware 9.1 ? Steven ?
>
> I've done it from Slackware 8.1, but not from 9.1. I imagine
> the package from 9.1 would probably work the same, but who
> knows? Until you actually try these things, you can't be sure.

That is why I am still a bit gun-shy. My last attempt was a disaster.

Regards,
Ron

--
Ron Clarke