baslinux - Re: [BL] test: is the list down??

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] test: is the list down??
  • Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 09:49:13 +1200

Sheldon Isaac wrote:

> how to do BL3 computer to BL2 computer with nfs

First run the NFS server on BL2 (let me know if you want
instructions for this). Make sure the address of the BL3
computer has permission (in /etc/exports) to access the
server.

The default BL3 kernel (zimage) does not have NFS capability.
Replace it with the bare.i bzimage from Slackware 7.1. If you
are booting BL3 from DOS, you will need to edit boot.bat to
change zimage to bzimage. If you are booting BL3 with lilo,
you will need to edit /etc/lilo.conf and execute lilo -v.

Once you can ping between the systems, do the following on
the BL3 system:
-------------------
mount clark:/ /mnt
-------------------
This assumes that the system running the NFS server is clark.

> or mcserv

I have never been an mc user, so I am not familiar with how mc
normally works. However, going by the manpage, it appears that
you run mcserv on a remote system and it opens up the remote
filesystem to mc (running locally).
The Midnight Commander file system is a network base file system
that allows you to manipulate the files in a remote machine as if
they were local. To use this, the remote machine must be running
the mcserv server program. To connect to a remote machine, you
just need to chdir into a special directory which name is in the
following format:
mc:[user@]machine[:port][remote-dir]

The, user, port and remote-dir elements are optional.