baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 computer to BL2 computer with nfs

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 computer to BL2 computer with nfs
  • Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 11:54:19 +1200

Sheldon Isaac wrote:

> > -------------------
> > mount clark:/ /mnt
> > -------------------
> > This assumes that the system running the NFS server is clark.
>
> Works.
> Midnight Commander here on (BL3.21) ASUS can access the files
> on the other computer (FIC running BL2.1) just fine!
>
> You'd been saying that nfs takes a lot of disk space, and that
> mcserv might be smaller.

mcserv is smaller and simpler than nfs:
nfs needs: rpc.portmap rpc.mountd rpc.nfsd /etc/exports
mcserv needs: rpc.portmap
However, you can do a lot more with nfs. mcserv only works with mc.
nfs can be used with anything (because it actually mounts the remote
filesystem on the local filesystem).

> last fall you pointed out to someone that nfs was a relatively
> compact way, compared with ?? (I forgot what the other ways were)

I think we were comparing nfs with ftp. ftp is more difficult to
configure, and it provides only limited interaction between the
remote and local filesystems. All things considered, nfs is the
best option.