baslinux - Re: [BL] Yes, I do have some problems with bl

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Yes, I do have some problems with bl
  • Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 15:23:59 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 23 May 2004, Jeff M. wrote:

> > What does FreeDOS do better than the latest free version of DR-DOS?
>
> I searched for a 'free' version of DR-DOS. I found a convoluted trail of
> websites leading to a set of floppy images and an uncertain licensing
> scheme. What's the real story? FreeDOS has a gpl license and an .iso
> image (about 11Mb). I see drdos multitasks, but all I really need dos
> for is a couple of old ham radio apps I can't replace or bear to part
> with.

DR-DOS has changed owners several times. You can read about it online. It
was Caldera DOS for a while. It went from non-free to free (thru DR DOS
7.03) and then non-free again.

We got it I think as four 1.44M zip files or something on that order,
rather than an iso image. It was large (7M?) but you don't need most of
it. A lot of it is 'help' and a shell.

Back when it was Novell DOS it included Novell Netware with drivers for
what were then the more popular ethernet cards.

> >I think I looked at it once a few years ago and could not get it
> >working properly but it was probably my fault.
>
> The same thing happened to me at one time or another. Everything since
> b9rc3 has installed flawlessly for me with the cd images.

Is there any place you can download just the basics rather than 11MB?