baslinux - Re: [BL] Yes, I do have some problems with bl

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Yes, I do have some problems with bl
  • Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 15:43:53 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 23 May 2004, Jeff M. wrote:

> > What does FreeDOS do better than the latest free version of DR-DOS?
>
> I searched for a 'free' version of DR-DOS. I found a convoluted trail of
> websites leading to a set of floppy images and an uncertain licensing
> scheme. What's the real story? FreeDOS has a gpl license and an .iso
> image (about 11Mb). I see drdos multitasks, but all I really need dos
> for is a couple of old ham radio apps I can't replace or bear to part
> with.

I could not even find the set of floppy images. Just some dead links.

DOS-Plus 1985-1987 > Digital Research DR DOS 1988-1993 > Novell DOS
1993-96 (with Personal Netware) > free Caldera OpenDOS through 7.01 (with
open kernel source) 1997 and in 2002 Caldera merged with SCO and at some
point recently DR-DOS Inc. bought back DR-DOS. (I think this company was
founded by the same people who founded Digital Research or it may have
been one of the other companies that owned DR-DOS for a while).

Caldera bought DR-DOS from Novell to include it somehow with Caldera
Openlinux (which we have - maybe DR-DOS is also in there?) and then later
split off Lineo to use it in embedded systems but Lineo is now defunct.

And SCO/IBM/SUN/MS are suing each other and destroying records and I could
not follow all of the story, but there was an interesting worm or virus
that attacked SCO or was supposed to anyway.

> >I think I looked at it once a few years ago and could not get it
> >working properly but it was probably my fault.
>
> The same thing happened to me at one time or another. Everything since
> b9rc3 has installed flawlessly for me with the cd images.

We have a book about the FreeDOS kernel.