baslinux - Re: [BL] Connecting via ethernet

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Connecting via ethernet
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 15:15:33 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 14 May 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Sindi Keesan wrote:
> >
> > I tried the bzimage from SW32 net.i and it got stuck even sooner
> > than the one from SW71,
>
> Was that from cold? A clogged NIC can remain clogged
> even after a reset. In my experience, ISA ne2000 NICs
> are the most likely to clog.

Probably not from cold but at this point I have given up on the winbond
906 card.

I used the 3c5x9 diagnostic file that David Lane sent me on the 3com
etherlink III 3c509 ISA card with the really old connector plus RJ-45. It
told me 0x300 and IRQ=10 and that it was set for RJ-45 and offered to
change these defaults which I did not do. I ran group 1 of the diagnostic
programs and it tested okay. I don't have a loopback device to run the
other tests.

I tried the SW71 net.i kernel on the ISA 3com 3c509 and it told me to use
the 3c509 module, not surprisingly, addres 0x300 irq=10, and it booted all
the way and told and I was able to use the card, WITHOUT specifying io or
irq. I transferred the 147MB temp.tgz file in about 2 minutes and then
spent maybe 10 unpacking it and it runs perfectly. Also fs.img.

I will go get a second 3com 3c5x9 ISA card and two more cables now, and
play with the two 3com cards with DECnet also from David, in DOS, when I
have more time. Lovely card. Most of them probably got thrown out
because the guy at the rummage sale only keeps them if they have just one
RJ-45 connector and none of the other styles. We had donated cards with
all three styles on them together. Half his cards were ISA. We had a
couple of PCI cards with BNC/RJ-45 combinations and he probably threw out
lots of those and kept the ISA cards, presumably for use in 486s which
nobody is buying any more.