baslinux - Re: [BL] Win98/linux coexistence problems

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Win98/linux coexistence problems
  • Date: Sat, 8 May 2004 08:46:33 +1200

Sindi Keesan wrote:

> Have you tried using plip to transfer fs.img, Steven?

No. Now that I have a PCMCIA ethernet card for my laptop,
I use ethernet for everything.

> I have one PCI ethernet card with both round and phone-type
> connectors. Is one better to use than the other,

The UTP (phone-type) is more upwardly compatible, but the
BNC (round) does 10Mb just fine. The coax cables used for
BNC are more fragile and need T-connectors and terminators
(at both ends), but you might get them for free (just about
everybody has upgraded to UTP). The biggest advantage of
UTP is that it can be used on 100Mb ethernet cards.

> Do you do something different with the software for each
> connector?

No. As long as you insmod the correct module for the ethernet
card, you are good to go.