baslinux - Re: [BL] plip problem

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] plip problem
  • Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 20:24:52 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 7 May 2004, David Lane wrote:

> >It sounds like the floppy version of BL3 might be quite
> >useful for installation. It includes the install-to-hd
> >script (which I'm currently rewriting to use lilo instead
> >of loadlin.exe).
>
> Outstanding!
>
> David Lane

Am I correct that lilo can also be used as a boot manager if you want a
choice between booting DOS or linux?

We are still having loadlin problems. Three ITBD computers. Two gave us
problems intermittently in loading zimage from DR-DOS or MS-DOS 6.22.
Now the third one, which worked the first time, long enough to use plip to
transfer linux to the hard drive via BL2 ramdisk, when I turned it on
today and tried to boot into linux, told me 'not a kernel image' the first
time I tried to boot but worked the second time. I could try it with
IBM-DOS but lilo might fix the problem just as well.

Someone else posted a similar problem with loadlin and Redhat, in 1999.
Perhaps the 2.2.16 kernel has a bug that makes it intermittently
unloadable with loadlin in certain operating systems on certain
motherboards?

Does it take any longer to load linux with lilo (having already booted
into DOS) than with loadlin?