baslinux - Re: [BL] repartitioning for linux?

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] repartitioning for linux?
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 12:18:48 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004, Matrix Mole wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Apr 2004, Sindi Keesan wrote:
>

> > I had heard rumors of some way to run Windows from the DOS command line to
> > avoid all the icons and the long wait to load everything. Just type win
> > and the name of whatever program you need to run. I would like to be able
>
> I had never heard of being able to run windows from pure command line. I
> know that you can execute shortcuts from command line, but you have to
> have the full GUI running to be capable of doing so.

win c:\progra~1\wordview

this goes right into wordview but first loads the desktop. On my fastest
computer it is only about 40 sec.

> > Does anyone know how to stop the Windows bmp from coming onscreen while
> > booting into non-gui mode? (Is there some file I can just delete
> > somewhere?).
>
> Add the line "logo=0" into the msdos.sys file. This disables the bootup
> splash screen. In the old Win95 days, the file logo.sys in the root c:\
> directory was modified to do the same thing. As for the logow.sys and

So Win95 has logo.sys but Win98 does not? How do I replace something that
is no longer there?

> logos.sys files that you discovered, they are the two shut down screens
> that appear when you turn off the computer (logow= waiting to shut down,
> logos= shut down). The bootup logo is a specialized bmp format with
> animation capabilities. I've seen others do it, but I don't know exactly
> how it was done. It is a bmp file though. If you wish to replace it, just
> put a different logo.sys file into c:\ and it will load that splash screen
> instead (provided logo=0 is changed to logo=1 in msdos.sys file of
> course).

I did not find any logo=1 line (maybe we had deleted it in an attempt to
get rid of the logo?), but I added the line logo=0 to msdos.sys and got a
lovely black screen again telling me it was loading a CD-ROM driver.
THANKS

This still leaves me the annoyance of needing to use Windows itself to
defragment my DOS partition on the one computer with Windows on it,
because the defrag program that comes with Win98 DOS 'requires Windows to
run' and it is excruciatingly slow compared to normal DOS defrag. (Why?)
So I boot with a DOS 6.22 boot disk to defrag. Any better ideas?

> > Do executables always go in the main linux partition?

Can anyone answer this one? Is it possible to put /usr on a separate
partition?

> I'll let Steve answer the send/receive question, it was beyond my useage
> :)

I may do a trial run of cloning on a small test drive first.

> You know, when I bought my very first 1G drive, I swore at that time that
> I'd never have enough data to fill it. Of course now, I have problems
> keeping 2G free to operate Win98 with the stuff I've got installed.

I have 500MB of DOS files collected over 20 years, but a lot of this is
photos (in duplicate) and duplicate copies of the zip files for installed
programs and things I don't use but might like to look at some day. If I
were not compiling, 500MB would be real overkill for linux, so far. But
then I am the one who bought my first computer without any expansion slots
because there was no reason to add a hard drive for just wordprocessing.

> > Thanks to everyone for the ideas and information. It is great being the
> > only really persistent beginner among a bunch of experienced linux users.
>
> I think we're all beginners in our own ways. You are much better adept at
> the programming aspect of the system than a lotof us on here at the
> moment. What with building your own files for some of us and all. So, we
> all have our beginner levels to compensate for our intermediate level
> elsewhere. :)

I have not programmed anything longer than an alias yet. What I compiled
was mostly done with a lot of help, also trial and error (as when I tried
to unzip a source code package with DOS pkzip and truncated all the file
names).

Back to the screwy motherboard. Thanks again,