baslinux - Re: [BL] repartitioning for linux?

  • From: Matrix Mole <matrixm AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] repartitioning for linux?
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 17:47:59 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004, Sindi Keesan wrote:

> win c:\progra~1\wordview
>
> this goes right into wordview but first loads the desktop. On my fastest
> computer it is only about 40 sec.

Does windows remain in memory after you're done with the program that you
had loaded up windows for, or does it shut back down to the dos prompt
when you are done?

> So Win95 has logo.sys but Win98 does not? How do I replace something that
> is no longer there?

If you place a properly built bmp in c:\ as logo.syswindows should display
it instead of the default logo.sys. I had to place logo=0 into my
msdos.sys file even when I had created the boot partition manually (it
would show the Windows splash screen for a brief second before dropping to
command line). So I think the default win98 logo.sys file is buried inside
of one of the core system files (io.sys, command.com) somehow.

> I did not find any logo=1 line (maybe we had deleted it in an attempt to
> get rid of the logo?), but I added the line logo=0 to msdos.sys and got a
> lovely black screen again telling me it was loading a CD-ROM driver.
> THANKS

I should have mentioned that if the line isn't there, then it is
considered to be in it's default state (in this case logo=1), that's one
of those "hidden" features of win9x actually. If you do a google search on
msdos.sys you'll find out there's all kinds of nifty things that can be
done in that small file.

> This still leaves me the annoyance of needing to use Windows itself to
> defragment my DOS partition on the one computer with Windows on it,
> because the defrag program that comes with Win98 DOS 'requires Windows to
> run' and it is excruciatingly slow compared to normal DOS defrag. (Why?)
> So I boot with a DOS 6.22 boot disk to defrag. Any better ideas?

Have you used win98 gui successfully since you used the dos6.22 defrag? I
tried that on my win95 machine way back in the day due to the slow useage
of the slow wingui defrag, and it screwed my system royally as it
destroyed the long file names (unless you use the long file name backup
utility hidden on the windows CD-Rom). I don't know of any defrag utility
that works from command line on the win9x platform successfully. There is
a registry setting you can use that will load the windows defrag utility
as the first thing when windows starts (before even the logon box I
believe), this way it's a little faster as nothing is in memory yet.

> > > Do executables always go in the main linux partition?
>
> Can anyone answer this one? Is it possible to put /usr on a separate
> partition?

You can have a seperate partition in your system that is mounted under
/usr that way everything in the /usr directory is on that partition
instead. For example, let's say you have a 1G drive as hdb1, 50MB for
hda1, and 500MB for hda2. You have hda1 as your boot partition (Dos/Win
whatever), and hda2 as your root partition (primary system partition).
Then in /etc/fstab you could have the following:

-----
/dev/hda2 / ext2 defaults 1 1
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hdb1 /usr ext2 defaults 1 2
-----

If you've added the hdb1 after installing the system, you'll have to
manually move everything from hda2 onto hdb1. I've never actually added a
new partition in this method myself, so I don't know how to get the files
from hda2 onto hdb1 if the moutnt points are named seperately. Maybe the
send/receive capability (boot BL-Ram version, mount hda2 under /hd and
hdb1 under /tmp and transfer everything from /hd/usr to /tmp perhaps).

> I have not programmed anything longer than an alias yet. What I compiled
> was mostly done with a lot of help, also trial and error (as when I tried
> to unzip a source code package with DOS pkzip and truncated all the file
> names).

You know, a lot of this stuff that I'm learning is being done at the
moment as I'm researching my answers to emails here on the list :) I
believe I did the pkzip truncation of long filenames under win9x, so I
know what you're talking about there.

> Back to the screwy motherboard. Thanks again,
> Sindi

Good luck.

--
Matrix Mole