baslinux - Re: [BL] repartitioning for linux?

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] repartitioning for linux?
  • Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 10:51:03 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks for instructions on how to defragment Windows during startup. It
seems a bit too complicated for me right now, so I tried using Windows
defrag again and it zips through the DOS drive pretty fast and since I
hardly ever use Windows it did not find too many changes on the Windows
drive. I am told our MSDOS 6.22 defrag simply refuses to work on a Fat32
partition so we are unlikely to destroy Windows that way. You must have
had Win95 in Fat16.

The info on how to split linux between partitions while booted with the
ramdisk version is helpful. If I ever fill up 500G with linux again (not
counting packages and source code) I will try it, but by then people will
probably be giving us lots of 20G drives.

You say to use 'partition resizer' to resize linux partitions. We
determined that partition magic won't resize linux partitions, and
partition manager says they are an unknown file type and never to try to
resize before first defragmenting. What/where is 'partition resizer'?

Jim (my patient fellow-conspirator in trying to build 6 linux computers)
thanks you for all the information and loves to try out new programs like
this and hopes that I will have gotten hold of it by the time he finishes
his C++ programming final this afternoon and attempts to fix a dying
monitor and some dead speakers which we gave to someone that we fixed up
with a Win98 computer. Her previous model (Win95) spent overnight trying
to defragment and kept starting over (AIM, Weatherbug, virus checker....)
until we discovered it would run better in SAFE MODE (without all those
drivers loaded). What is loading besides drivers which normally slows
down defrag when you don't do it during startup?

Jim is ecstatic because instead of studying C++ for his final exam today,
he spent the last four days learning the differences between nasm
(assembly language for which there are DOS and linux compilers) and a86
(for DOS, similar to masm), in which he wrote a 4K does-it-all text editor
for DOS, and it now assembles properly with the NASM assembler for DOS so
ought to also work for linux, and soon he will have his own text editor
for linux and won't need DOS any more except for CAD. It does a lot more
than e3, in less space, but is conspicuously lacking in documentation.
Can do word wrap, import files, split screen, cut and paste, search and
replace, work with other screen fonts, etc. Anyone want to try it?

Can anyone recommend a good small CAD program for linux which lets you
zoom in to view details? With a way to print the output.