baslinux - [BL] nasm

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] nasm
  • Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 11:15:27 -0400 (EDT)

Nasm is an assembler (used to 'compile' programs written in assembler
language) that exists in both DOS and linux (maybe also Windows). I used
it to produce e3 executables.

My partner wrote a DOS text editor in a86 assembler (similar to masm) and
would like to port it to linux. So he read the nasm.doc and modified a
few things (added square brackets) and last night got his code to assemble
with DOS nasm to produce a working DOS text editor.

This morning he assembled the same code with nasm for linux and it
produced a working text editor, but it is in DOS not linux.

What step did he miss? It is over 2000 lines of code so I don't want to
include it in my posting.

He would like to use this editor in linux and contribute it to basiclinux
users once we get it documented. It does a lot more than e3 in only 4K.