baslinux - Re: [BL] BL2 - library downgrade problems (glibc-2.2.5>2.1.3) (fwd)

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL2 - library downgrade problems (glibc-2.2.5>2.1.3) (fwd)
  • Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 20:10:29 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 2 Apr 2004, Ron Clarke wrote:

> Hi Sindi,
>
> On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 23:28:29 -0500 (EST)
> Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com> wrote:
>
> > Have you tried to compile anything since you downgraded glibc?
>

> Yes. I have not been able to compile ANYTHING since I first started
> using BL(x). There was always some thing not found, not right, not
> something. I still try once in a while, but my heart is not really in
> it any more. :(

I was able to compile two programs before I upgraded BL2 and three others
on a computer with all the glibc files upgraded. I even compiled e3pi
which required an extra package for assemlber language. I compiled Kermit
with BL1 (after someone told me how to do it without including ncurses and
floating point). What exactly happens when you try to compile? Maybe I
can help you get that working.

Sometimes you need to edit makefile, or copy over the linux makefile to
makefile/Makefile, before typing make all. It helps sometimes to read the
README or INSTALLATION file. I had to change /bin/sh to /bin/bash until I
installed the echo from sh-utils.tgz, which it was looking for. (The one
from busybox was not right, somehow). I installed ncurses.5.2 from SW80 a
long time ago and some programs require that. If something is missing, I
look in MANIFEST.gz with zless to find out where to get it.

The rules seem to be that you first
./configure (half the time this is not necessary, but it checks what is
already on your computer and modifies the makefile)
make all (or make whatever executable you are after - make bmv)
make install (puts things where they belong)
make clean (removes the .o files that got generated from .c files)

If you read makefile it tells you what the three make scripts actually do.

> But I still regularly compile executables in DOS. :)
> Which is where most of my work is done.

I have never compiled anything in DOS. Do you use DJGPP? My partner is
learning programming and can now compile useless little things for DOS and
linux and Windows.