baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3-01.zip

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3-01.zip
  • Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 17:52:17 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Sindi Keesan wrote:
> >
> > links-ssl won't display images for me. Does it do so
> > for you?
>
> I don't use links-ssl (the default links does everything
> I need). Looks like I won't be recommending links-ssl as
> an add-on.

It works nicely for webmail and other sites needing logins. It even works
better than lynx for filling in forms. Just does not do images (for me,
anyway). If I did not want to view images, I would not be so likely to
use BL3 since I can't think of anything else to do with X right now. Have
not tried the ftp upload yet but we do also need ftp download which kermit
will do.

> > Unless I can get microcom to work,
>
> microcom isn't your only problem. You also say you are unable
> to download. It is possible that you have a flaw on your system
> that is causing both problems. Could be a hardware issue in the
> modem/computer or some problem in configuration. I assume you
> are booting without CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT ?

It is probably not hardware as I have the same two problems on both
computers. I will try without autoexec.bat and config.sys soon and report
back. I have to wait my turn to use those computers.

> > Can't use BL3 to download the newer BL3, unfortunately.
>
> I have had no problem using links to download in BL3 (although
> the biggest file I downloaded with it was only around 200kb).
> Is your problem with links or with wget?

links, wget and lynx all stall (0 B/sec) at about 72-75% of the three
linux files I tried to get with this - lynx.tgz, kermit for SW30 (binary)
and 61K zlib.so.1.1.3. No trouble accessing websites, viewing images with
lynx or links, or downloading a small .com file. Must be something in
linux files that is interfering with downloads.

zlib stalls at exactly the same byte every time I try with wget. 45444 or
similar, out of 61K, and kermit or lynx stalled at about 1.86M (1.68?) one
time and then at 4096 bytes on all succeeding tries.

I will make a DOS boot disk and try again soon. I thought it was Xvesa
that had problems with things like himem.sys and emm386.exe and Xvesa has
worked fine for me ever since I was able to type and see A B C 1 2 3
(probably related to mono VGA monitor used to boot the first time, need to
check that out too and take careful notes).