baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 18:19:18 -0500 (EST)

> Sindi Keesan wrote:
> >
> > I booted BL1 with the BL2 kernel.
> > I copied the two modules for the BL2 (Sw71) kernel
> > to the proper location and did insmod for both,
> > then eznet up 0.
> >
> > This time it made the usual dialing noises, waited a
> > few seconds, and told me: Service #0 - pppd failure.
>
> Authentication failure perhaps?
> Did you do all the configuration in pppsetup?

I did everything identically, as far as I know. I did not run pppsetup,
just insmod slhc and insmod ppp and then eznet up 0 in both cases. I
assumed that the eznet.cfg (?) files would be invoked.

> > I booted BL1 with BL1 kernel and was able to dial and connect.
>
> Identical pppsetup? Or are you using a ramdisk that needs
> to be reconfigured every time you boot?

I have BL1 installed to hard drive. I added the modules for BL2 (slhc and
ppp) to the /2.2.16/ directory for modules that I created. I then renamed
zimage from BL2 to zimage2 and made a copy of the boothd.bat file and
named it boothd2.bat and changed zimage in it to zimage2. I booted and
everything appeared to work just fine that way except that when I dialed I
could not connect.

> > I tried the hybrid again twice, would not connect.
> > I am connected again using BL1 with BL1 kernel.
> > It always works. Now what? Is there maybe a timing
> > problem?
>
> It is possible that the problem lies with pppd. When I
> compiled eznet for BL1 (older/smaller pppd), I had to set
> a special flag for that version of pppd (otherwise eznet
> does not work with that pppd). Apparently there are
> significant differences between the two pppds. Perhaps
> the 2.2 kernel does not work with the old pppd?
>
> I have done no ppp testing in BL3 yet, so I may be running
> into this problem soom myself (if it exists).

Might you need to compile eznet again for BL3?

> > These seem to be two rather different versions of ppp.o,
> > larger for SW71 than SW35.
>
> Sadly, almost everything in Slack71 is bigger than Slack35.
> And on it goes, with every Slackware fatter than the last.
> That's why BL3 is going back to an older/smaller Slackware
> (and eventually to an even smaller uClibc).

I wonder what makes all the programs larger, is it that they need to work
with more types of hardware?