baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 19:30:44 +1300

Sindi Keesan wrote:

> If you use the BL2 kernel but the BL1 libraries, does
> this mean all the programs have to be compiled specially
> for BL3?

Not necessarily. I expect most (all?) BL1 programs will
work on BL3. That means old PCs should be able to run BL3
with Netscape 3.04.

> Wallpapers???? What is wrong with a plain background?

You will have a choice.

> Which image viewer?

xli. It does GIF, JPEG, PCX, BMP, macPAINT, G3FAX, PhotoCD
and some others.

> xterm or xvrt (or whatever it was called that is smaller)?

rxvt

> > If httpd works as expected, you'll be able to transfer
> > files between computers using links.
>
> via parallel or serial cable?

Parallel, serial, NIC, anything that will take a TCP/IP
network.

> A new mail program that will let you send mail from within
> a browser?

I'm planning on using the POP/SMTP client (pmail) from BL2,
but I will probably ditch the mailreader (mailz). I was
hoping to find a nice/small GUI mailreader, but so far no
luck.

> Does the lynx I compiled happen to work with BL3?

I don't know. You could try booting BL1 with the BL2 kernel
and you would get a pretty good idea.